Homelessness Prevention Program
This program is run by The Salvation Army and funded by The Regional Municipality of York and the Provincial Government.
Our goal is to aid in the prevention of homelessness for York Region residents by providing financial assistance to:
- Those who are at risk of losing their home or place of shelter
- Individuals who are homeless or living in a temporary shelter
Do You Qualify?
- Are you a resident of York Region? and…
- Have you tried every other option available to change/solve the situation or problem? and…
- Are you in a financial crisis, not receiving Ontario Works or Ontario Disability Support Program funding, but have an income from other sources?
- Are you under the threat of eviction and/or utility disconnection/arrears?
- Are you homeless?
- Are you living in a temporary shelter?
If you feel that you qualify, you will need to arrange to obtain the following items once you’ve called for an appointment:
- 2 pieces of proper photo ID for yourself and all family members (i.e. birth certificates, health cards)
- Letter from your employer on company letterhead stating: history of employment, hourly wage and weekly hours
- One month’s most recent pay cheque stub
- Proof of rent or mortgage paid
- Eviction notice(s) and/or “N4”, formal document which specifies that you have already been through a tribunal hearing if served
- If renting, proof of rental history for one year
- Rental Agreement or Lease
- Landlord’s full name, address and telephone number
- All bills/notifications including credit cards, utilities, medical, loans, etc.
- Proof of any and all sources of income (i.e. child support, unemployment benefits)
- Updated bankbook(s) and/or statements
- Any other expenses (monthly or outstanding)